Theme chapters 9-12

Shame/ashamed

Chapter 9: “Did I blame those strangers for my loneliness” (Alexie 77)

I believe that this shows shame because of the fact that he is questioning his own actions. He is ashamed of himself and what he did. He is guilty that he put the people through what he did and embarrassed that those strangers had to go through it.

Chapter 10: “I’m ashamed of myself. Who am I?” (Alexie 81)

He physically states that he is ashamed of his actions and what he did. They are the words that come out of his mouth. The words he chose to say.

Chapter 10: “But no punishment will be enough for me” (Alexie 81)

He is ashamed of what he did and believes that there is no punishment big enough for him. He realizes that he is in the wrong and won’t be able to fix it. He believes that there is nothing that he can do to fix his mistakes or nothing big enough.

Chapter 12: “I hear screaming. I realize it’s me screaming. I hear weeping. I realize it’s me weeping” (Alexie 106)

He finally lets himself go and he is ashamed that he is finally letting that happen. He has always had walls up protecting himself and now that they are down, he is ashamed to the point where he starts to scream from everything built up. He finally lets go and cries, he is ashamed of himself, as he has always been in bad situations.